Community Forums
Forum Index FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in RegisterRegister
Its poll time ladies and gents
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

who do u trust male or female therapist
a male
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
a female
56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
or both
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

girlinterrupted
newbie 1st class
newbie 1st class

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Its poll time ladies and gents Reply with quote

who do u trust more to get into detail with a therapist? I have a man but I feel comfy. Shocked
liat
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: trust in therapy Reply with quote

Hi Laura,

Good question. I've only ever seen a male therapist while in Swinbourne collage years ago, and back then I had alot more trust issues then I do now. I think it great that you've found someone to work with, and maybe he just happened to be a man. Sometimes, it can help to have that other perspective to the councelling relationship, how have you found it so far?

lov to hear from you sometime,

you're welcome to use chat at tippiaca@msn.com.au or PM me or just post on the forum again...

take care,
liat M Wink

Being real brings real results - Liat
dakizia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id say none, but cant vote that... Confused
liat
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: wrong msn Reply with quote

Hi Laura, dakizia... and everyone,

sorry, it's not .au

just tippiaca@msn.com
love to chat sometime...

liat-

Being real brings real results - Liat
ivonne
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't trust a male therapist when I needed a therapist, so my vote is for women. I would probably be okay with a man these days but when I was still really fragile a man could not have reached me, simple because of his gender.

((((Dakizia)))) you will find someone hon... als de nood het grootst is, is de redding nabij... Hang in there okay!!!

Ivonne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
XOEMMYLOUOX
newbie 1st class
newbie 1st class

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say give them all an equal shot to figure me out.. Smile
dwilterd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Just have to get my "2 cents" in ..... Reply with quote

I think I'm in the minority when it comes to therapists... I've always preferred male therapists. I think there are a number of reasons but here are the ones I can think of right now...

1. I long to be rescued and saved and no "whimpy" lady would be able to do that (of course I'm not saying women aren't strong, I just look to a man as more of a hero-type).

2. My dad was very weak so I'm looking for a STRONG father-figure. It's very similar to what I said in number 1, but a little more specific.

3. I don't feel most female therapists have the stomach to hear what I need to say. It's like I'm afraid I'll offend their "delicate sensibilities". I mean, I have seen at least 3 different female therapists in my life and none of them seemed ready to hear the tough sh*t I needed to talk about.

4. My male therapist (I've been seeing him on and off for more than 8 years) will hold my hand when I want him to, hold my wrists to keep me from hurting myself or him during fits of rage, protect me from myself during sessions where I feel I want to hurt myself, basically, he's stronger than me but I can trust him not to hurt me with his strength. That feels really, really good.

Anyway, I can certainly understand female survivors only wanting to talk to female therapists and male survivors wanting to talk to male therapists. This is just how it affects me.

dwilterd
kaileigh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: therapists Reply with quote

thats great that you have found a supportive male therapist dwilterd. I have also seen a mix of male and female therapists. At times I have been so suicidal, that I had to just see someone, just to stay alive.I have always had trust issues with men and women. But I think my saftey is more with a woman.I did see this male psychologist a few years ago who did some debriefing with me when I was assaulted as a nurse,and I delved into my abuse a bit with him and he was really receptive to me.But I hit a point when my defences went up- like this is a man who I can trust, and I couldnt talk anymore.I have always found it hard to be emotional in front of a man. But even female therapists, I find it hard to cry in front of. My two recent therapists have been female, and this new one seems really nice. But I think it can take some time to find the one you connect with, and sometimes we need to change.I have seen so many over the years. I think it can be helpful to not focus on whether they are male or female sometimes,but ask yourself all those questions youd hopefully ask yourself when youre trying out a new therapist. When it comes to doctors though, I find it hard with men.But even my female doctor now,she is great and listens to me,but I cant let her look at me or touch me even. Keep on listening to your inner self when it comes to whoever you are talking with. all the best, kaileigh. youre welcome to post me on kailspiritasha@yahoo.com.au
beth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer women as well, I have never been to a male therapist and don't think I would feel comfortable. I think women are more compassionate in the area of abuse. Plus I would be thinking if I had a male counsellor he wouldn't understand. It would creep me out to much.

However I know there are some really great male therapists but I think
Female would be my vote

blessings from beth
cap329

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: preference of male or female therapist Reply with quote

I myself feel much safer dealing with a female. I don't feel judged and I feel that she understands my feelings. I have a real tendency not to trust men. However I feel to each her own. We all need to find a comfort zone to deal with our problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    S&F's Forum Index -> Female Survivors Only All times are GMT + 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: