Community Forums
Forum Index FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in RegisterRegister
God and religion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you believe in God?
yes
65%
 65%  [ 30 ]
no
28%
 28%  [ 13 ]
a little
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
not sure
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 46

tim2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people believe in god because they are scared not to. If you have been told that if you are good and believe in god you get to go to heaven but if you are bad and dont believe in god you go to hell then its too big risk to take to say you dont believe.
ivonne
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like 5 out of 20 people on here are not afraid to say they don't believe in God. Is it that we are more courageous?

I don't know. I do think there is some truth to the part about fear being the prime motivator for religion. Which leads me to an interesting point: It's in religions best interest to promote fear. After all the more people fear God's wrath the more they will believe.

So what do we see, after creating a God to deliver us from fear, we have born religion and religion thrives on fear. So naturally religion creates hell as well, to promote fear.

Next someone figures out you know, those priests have got a good deal going. So they start a new religion. Protectionism sets in. After all, the sweet deal is not as good when you have to share it. So the priests condemn other religions. By this time we're talking crusades and witchhunts, murder and mayhem. Is this the purpose of church you might wonder? Why yes, more murder and mayhem is grist for their mill. It promotes more fear and thus garners more believers, by the way let's tithe them for protecting them against the unbelievers...

on and on and on...

What would happen if we simply refused to be afraid.
Ivonne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iam
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if heaven or hell are real. I don't know if there is a god or not. what I do know is that if I am going to go to hell for not believing...then I'm gonna have some #*$# fine company there Laughing
Rosie
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Laughing

Almost scary isn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ivonne
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear it's warm there too...

Ivonne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rosie
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the arms of god
Pain is created
blood is found beneath your heart
In the arms of god
Satan shows his face
and you fall from the human race

Nothing to hold onto
Nothing to help you stay
Nothing you can undo
It's always this way
Satan save us now

Bless me so that I may die
In the realms of the deciever
I am not a beleiver
What god is there
only satan
And he really cares

In the arms of god
Pain is created
blood is found beneath your heart
In the arms of god
Satan shows his face
and you fall from the human race

Hide behind your name
Try and change your face
Nothing will allow escape
Try and run from me
And you'll fall finally

Ha...Satan is laughable
A figure of evil
Burning inside me

Almost scary isn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chsy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know much, but what little I do know . . . here it is.

Heard something in regards to the unexplainable to our consciousness. That we as humans need to rationalise things we don't understand with ideas/theories that make us feel safe. Therefore the many different superstitions,rituals, religons, etc around the globe. This is based on "scientific" research from anthropologists, historions and psychologists.

The "theory" of evolution/religon/spirituallity is very much a persons choice in understanding the world around them. It's all about perception.

I personally do believe in a higher power but not in an indoctrined way.

Here's a joke :

A religous man was at his home in the flood plains when it started to storm. The water very soon drove him to seek the higher ground that was his roof. A boat sidled up to him and the guy said "no need God will save me", the boat left. A helicopter came, the guy said "no need God will save me". It didn't stop raining and the guy drowned. When his spirit saw god he asked "God I love you and have always lived as you asked, Why didn't you save me? to which God replied "I sent you a boat and a helicopter what more do you want."

I think believing in God for me, allows me to tap into the vast potential that we have, as far as conscious connection with ourselves and others is concerned. The spirit of humanity is a powerful thing. It has many gifts allowing forgiveness, love, grace, etc. Whatever we choose the face of God to be (scientific formula, fanatic faith, life exprience, alien landings, etc) connects us in many more ways then we choose to see.

Hey it has got everybody talking, expressing and SHARING ... hasn't it?
ivonne
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it told a little different:

floods, rain, everybody in the whole village gathers on the roof of the church. In the distance they see a strange sight. A bowler hat floating in a straight line, back and forth, back and forth...

They are mystified, praising the lord for something supernatural like that... it must be a sign...

Till little Jimmy sais: Oh, I know what it is, that's uncle Joe. He said yesterday: Come hell or high water, tomorrow I'm mowing that lawn...

Ivonne
chsy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute.

Don't mean to pry Ivonne, do you truly not belive in anything of a spiritual path or just the fiery brimstone God and devil thing?
ivonne
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I'm quite well known on here for not believing in anything. I'm neither a believer nor disbeliever.

The fire and brimstone theory, hell and heaven, god and the devil... they all presuppose a right and wrong. I don't believe in a right and wrong. Things are the way they are. Life isn't about that for me.

I choose for my life to be about expressing love and raising awareness. That keeps me occupied. I need no other guideline than that in my life. This is my personal vision, goal, statement of intent. For whatever that's worth.

(and before anybody asks, I don't believe in hate either)

Ivonne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    S&F's Forum Index -> Open for Debate All times are GMT + 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: