Community Forums
Forum Index FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in RegisterRegister
The edit function

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flyingwithgrace
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: The edit function Reply with quote

In theory it's nice to have. I myself have made posts, thought twice and came back and edited them. So in one way it's a good thing. The problem with it is that it can and sometimes is abused. For instance, it has been used to provoke or abuse other members.

If someone is trying to get under someone else's skin for instance, it's easy enough to see when someone is on the forum, just from the posts and when they are posted. If someone is trying to harass another member (which is dead wrong but it's been happening) they can make a post, wait for the response they were looking for and then edit the original post so nobody knows why the other person just flipped out.

I guess this isn't really a suggestion, I don't think the ability to edit should be removed. Maybe there should just be a limit on how many times you can edit posts in a day or something. I just don't like seeing people being hurt the way they have been lately.
4my wife

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Codie,

Just testing out something here.

Bullying or cyber stalking isn't acceptable anywhere. What you are describing sure seems to fit that description. one idea is to report the person to the Mods, and let them deal with it. if the person keeps coming back with a new screen name, the mods should hopefully be able to identify the person through their IP address or some other form of a data trail.

Editing to see what is shown if anything.

Last edited by 4my wife on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
4my wife

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mods,

After the above test, can we add the note line that shows when a post has been edited. I've seen this on other web forums with similar formats. When a post is edited, the person is asked for a reason for editing. At the bottom of the post is a note with the date and time that he post was edited. It displays the reason also, even if its' left blank there is a blank space.

This may not stop the cyber bullying, or baiting described above, but at least it will make it easier to identify if a previous post has been altered from it's original content and give the victim some corroboration to back up their claim.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks in advance

Mike

edited to add
That's the line showing now, I actulaly edited it twice, and the line showed up after the second edit. Sorry, my spelling was terriable, Maybe that was just a goof in the system. lets see if it picks up this one first time around.
Flyingwithgrace
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike. Nice to see you! I wasn't talking about me in particular, I haven't had that experience fortunately. I was just concerned with some of the things that I have seen going on around here lately.

You asked a good question though, I think that's a great idea.

I hope you're doing well. Happy Valentine's day too.
4my wife

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Codie,

I was just talking in general about the bullying and stuff. I get the feeling you could hold your own if someone was trying to mess with you. I also understand that some others may not feel that comfortable with confrontation or may be a little more shy about speaking up. I'm glad you started this thread. If it's happening, it needs to be addressed.

Happy Valantines to you too.

Mike.

a.k.a.
Joe Dirt. Cool [/list]
Flyingwithgrace
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody should ever feel unsafe here. Period. That just isn't acceptable.
I'm a lot better at standing up for other people than I am for myself but I'm working on that.

I have a fool proof method of dealing with people like that when it comes to myself. I call it ignoring them. Works every time. Laughing

But you are right, I think this is something that should be addressed.

*post edited due to a brainfart on the part of the OP.
Marcusaralius76

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... I think that the system should be changed so the original post, before editing, should be saved to whatever system stores the website. So if there IS a problem, like there's been over the past few weeks, the original posts can be viewed by the Mods to look for anything disrespectful or offensive.
Flyingwithgrace
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good suggestion but I'm not sure if this site has the ability to put that into place. Anyway we are just making suggestions, hopefully the difficulty we were having is over with now anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    S&F's Forum Index -> Topic Suggestions All times are GMT + 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: