Community Forums
Forum Index FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in RegisterRegister
Dissociative Identity Disorder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    S&F's Forum Index -> Parents, Partners, and Loved Ones Only
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doug
newbie 1st class
newbie 1st class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Dissociative Identity Disorder Reply with quote

I have known about my wifes abuse prior to us getting engaged. We have been married for 12 years. She was diagnosed with DID just a few month ago and I am really struggling with it. Does anyone have any experience or advice they could share?
4my wife

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

I have no experience on it, but a Google search turned up this info,

"DID was called Multiple Personality Disorder until 1994"

Here is the link, http://psychologytoday.com/conditions/did.html

Sounds like something you might want to consider getting some professional advice on the best ways to help your spouse deal with. At least there seems to be a diagnosis, so now you both can focus on a specific issue.

Best of luck.

Mike
doug
newbie 1st class
newbie 1st class

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has been in counseling and I am seriously considering the same. It is very difficult when you realize that the person you are dealing with at any given time may not be the "person" you married.
Onyx248

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GF has DID's. I knew of it before we got together so that has helped us. As I began to notice the differences in her expressions & other actions that I could tell weren't her words I started to ask who was here & ask for a name. From that I began to acknowledge them & talk with them. It was rough on them too because no one had ever acknowledged them being real. 6 years later now, we are living together & with some I play with, some come to talk to me, & some I argue with. Yeah, thou they all know its ok to talk to me, a few of them still opt to fight with me. They trust me, but its how we got started getting along with each other so we fight even if its in a joking matter or not. Their way of communicating I guess.

There have been times where I have found out that all the other personalities are trying to make it easier for me by making me think they are all the same person, but I tell them that is more confusing to me than easier. I let them know I would rather talk with them than to ACT as if its not them.

I still have times where I don't catch the changes & then when my GF returns she knows nothing about what we talked about. That is when I say to her....""this is to all of you""...... letting them know that they have to communicate more within. That if I tell one person to do somehting & they aren't going to be around at the time it needs to be done, they have to pass that information to the next person, or everyone, so we are all on the same page here. That can get frustrating sometimes, but things will get better in time. Takes alot of patience, but we all get along. I have 30+ people to work with here. Smile From the little ones that are so cute, to the adults that can be cranky sometimes, to the ones that just love to fight with me Smile

Onyx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    S&F's Forum Index -> Parents, Partners, and Loved Ones Only All times are GMT + 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: